Oct 19, 2011

Target Deal and Donating

I think some of you are relatively new readers and new to couponing, so I thought I'd quickly go over my Target trip today - so you can see what is possible! It wasn't a huge trip and wasn't my biggest savings, but I spent virtually no time reviewing deals and organizing ahead of time - so it'll give you a good idea of what can be done on the fly!

Target has Curel Lotion on one of their gift card specials this week. If you purchase any two of their lotions, you'll get a $5 gift card! So, I bought two bottles of Curel Foot Lotion for $3.59 each. I used two $1 off coupons and I used my redcard - so my total with tax was $5.30. I got a $5 gift card back, so the net spent was $.30 on the two bottles of lotion! I turned around and immediately used the $5.00 gift card on the rest of my purchases (which I used coupons on). I walked out of Target with about $25 worth of items (furniture polish, dishwashing detergent, Annie's Cheddar bunnies, St. Ive's Face Scrub, and large mailer envelopes) for about $8 out of pocket. Not bad for very little time invested!

Now you may be thinking "I don't use Curel lotion, why would I spend any money on that at all, if I don't use it?". I think that is a very responsible question to ask. It is easy, in couponing, to get so caught up in getting a good deal - that you waste money on things that you're never going to use! If you don't watch it, you'll end up with a grocery store in your garage...and that's a little freaky! But you can donate it! If you need a place to donate things, where you want to be 100% assured of them getting used by those less fortunate - take your things to the Florence Crittenton Services; it is a fantastic organization started in the 1800's for un-wed mothers (normally homeless teens). They are in constant need of toiletries and personal items. Donating items like this is a way that you can make a big impact, with very little money.

There are always toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, shampoo, and lotion deals that allow you to get things for next to nothing. These deals present amazing opportunities to fill a box and send it to military, or to an area of the country hit by a natural disaster, or a charity! So keep your eyes peeled for these types of opportunities.

No comments: